Friday, April 6, 2012


I think I am only ten to fifteen years late on the Blog bandwagon, but as the great storyteller Stephen King once said, "if you want to be a writer you must do two things: read a lot and write a lot." So, as I have the reading thing down pretty well, here is an attempt to write more. Furthermore, as I was recently reading an article in the Tallahassee Democrat about a visiting author to FSU who said good writing can come from bad writing and bad writing can come from good writing. Her point was simply that you need to write. 

This is part of an effort for me to do several things: 1) have my work read, 2) get my voice heard on a number of issues important to me and to society (as unimportant and insignificant my point of view may be in the grand scheme of things), and 3) have fun! I do not know if I will ever have my fiction published or even read, but I am still going to do it for me. PYBITS is what it shall be called, that is what I am calling my new take on writing fiction. I think it is the only way I can do it right now without being in a workshop or taking a class where deadlines positively force creativity. PYBITS stands for Put Your Butt In The Seat. That is what needs to happen. I am tired of saying I want to be a writer without every putting pen to paper to take on the pages of ideas I have. 

I am happy and thankful for this medium and this technology to allow anyone to just sign up for an account with Google and "Boom!" they have a voice. The voice of this person might be unknown, quiet, brilliant, or just plain wrong on all the issues, but it is still a voice to be heard and that is a pretty cool thing. 

It's a funny world we live in; it really is. I hope you will join me in exploring the absurdity of life and all that comes with it. 

1 comment:

  1. As a writer, you may already be well aware, but Poets and Writers mag is a great resource for both education and submission info. There's some great workshops out there too- I highly recommend the Key West Literary Seminar. Of course, you have great resources in Tally as well with the FSU writing program (of which I'm a proud alum!). Good luck with your writing,

    John Curran

    ReplyDelete